I am a Paediatric Dentist, teacher and researcher. My work is focussed on improving the way we manage the disease dental caries: how can we be less invasive, how can we make it easier for people (especially children) to cope with, how can we make dental care more effective, affordable and accessible. I mainly work on clinical trials and systematic reviews. My nursing and dentistry background have given me a very patient-focussed outlook but I try to keep in mind the science behind what we do, and how oral health care could be improved for patients. orcid.org/0000-0002-9984-0012
The specific areas I work in are:
- Clinical trials testing different clinical management techniques for dental caries (my main area of interest here is in “sealing-in” caries, selective caries removal and the Hall Technique – what happens in terms of clinical and other outcomes?);
- Patient (especially children’s) perceptions of the dental care we provide and how we can improve that - Child Friendly Dentistry;
- Uptake of evidence by practitioners (how can we translate the evidence we produce to knowledge and then to action in dental practices);
- Inequalities in dental care (such as dentistry for children with low access in countries such as Brazil and gypsy/ travellers);
- Improving the standard of research produced within cariology; and
- Systematic reviews related to cariology, paediatric dentistry and inequalities.
I have had an unusual career path, qualifying as a Registered General Nurse, working in neurosurgery in Edinburgh and gaining a BSc in Life Sciences from Napier University.
I came to the University of Dundee, graduating in Dentistry in 1998, having also obtained an intercalated degree in Molecular and Cellular Pathology. I then spent a very enjoyable seven years as a general dental practitioner in Carnoustie and Forfar, before returning to join Child Dental Health at Dundee as a Lecturer. My PhD investigated the Hall Technique, a method for managing carious primary molars that is becoming widely used across the globe.
As well as being Associate Editor of the Journal of Dental Research , I am Co-Associate Editor of the Evidence Based Dentistry Journal, I sit on the Scottish Dental Practice Based Research Network steering committee, a number of SDCEP and SIGN guidance development groups. I edit Wikipedia pages on Dentistry.
I am currently Chief Investigator on the FiCTION Dental Trial (Fillings in Children’s Teeth; Indicated or Not), and am involved in Germany, Brazil, Lithuania, Australia and New Zealand based dental trials.
- Marshman, Z., Ainsworth, H., Chestnutt, I.G., Day, P., Dey, D., El Yousfi, S., Fairhurst, C., Gilchrist, F., Hewitt, C., Jones, C., Kellar, I., Pavitt, S., Robertson, M., Shah, S., Stevens, K., Torgerson, D., Innes, N. Brushing RemInder 4 Good oral HealTh (BRIGHT) trial: Does an SMS behaviour change programme with a classroom-based session improve the oral health of young people living in deprived areas? A study protocol of a randomised controlled trial (2019) Trials, 20 (1), art. no. 452. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-019-3538-6
- Robertson, M.D., Schwendicke, F., De Araujo, M.P., Radford, J.R., Harris, J.C., McGregor, S., Innes, N.P.T. Dental caries experience, care index and restorative index in children with learning disabilities and children without learning disabilities; A systematic review and meta-analysis (2019) BMC Oral Health, 19 (1), art. no. 146. DOI: 10.1186/s12903-019-0795-4
- Seifo, N., Cassie, H., Radford, J.R., Innes, N.P.T. Silver diamine fluoride for managing carious lesions: An umbrella review (2019) BMC Oral Health, 19 (1), art. no. 145. DOI: 10.1186/s12903-019-0830-5
- Innes, N.P.T., Chu, C.H., Fontana, M., Lo, E.C.M., Thomson, W.M., Uribe, S., Heiland, M., Jepsen, S., Schwendicke, F. A Century of Change towards Prevention and Minimal Intervention in Cariology (2019) Journal of Dental Research, 98 (6), pp. 611-617. Cited 1 time. DOI: 10.1177/0022034519837252
- Schwendicke, F., Krois, J., Robertson, M., Splieth, C., Santamaria, R., Innes, N. Cost-effectiveness of the Hall Technique in a Randomized Trial (2019) Journal of Dental Research, 98 (1), pp. 61-67. Cited 3 times. DOI: 10.1177/0022034518799742
- Jayaraman, J., Dhar, V., Donly, K.J., Priya, E., Innes, N.P.T., Clarkson, J., Raggio, D.P., Childers, N., Wright, T., King, N., Nagendrababu, V., Clarke, M. Reporting stAndards for research in PedIatric Dentistry (RAPID): A development protocol (2019) International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry. DOI: 10.1111/ipd.12569
- Sabbagh, H.J., Innes, N.P.T., Edris Ahmed, S., Butali, A., Alnamnakani, E.A., Rabah, S.M., Hamdan, M.A., Alhamlan, N.H., Abdulhameed, F.D., Hassan, M.H.A., Al Mahdi, H.B., Alamoudi, N.M., Al-Aama, J.Y., Alaki, S.M., Mossey, P.A. Molecular screening of VAX1 gene polymorphisms uncovered the genetic heterogeneity of nonsyndromic orofacial cleft among saudi arabian patients. (2019) Genetic Testing and Molecular Biomarkers, 23 (1), pp. 45-50. DOI: 10.1089/gtmb.2018.0207
- McFadden, A, Siebelt, L, Jackson, C, Jones, H, Innes, N, MacGillivray, S, Bell, K, Corbacho, B, Gavine, A, Haggi, HM & Atkin, K 2018, Enhancing Gypsy, Roma and Traveller peoples’ trust: using maternity and early years’ health services and dental health services as exemplars of mainstream service provision. University of Dundee, Dundee. https://doi.org/10.20933/100001117
- Innes N and Schwendicke F. Treatment options for carious tissue removal. 2019 3:3. Clinical Dentistry Reviewed. https://doi.org/10.1007/s41894-019-0042-z
- Jayaraman, J., Nagendrababu, V., Pulikkotil, S.J., Innes, N.P. Critical appraisal of methodological quality of Systematic Reviews and Meta-analysis in Paediatric Dentistry journals (2018) International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 28 (6), pp. 548-560. Cited 3 times. DOI: 10.1111/ipd.12414
- Schwendicke, F., Krois, J., Splieth, C.H., Innes, N., Robertson, M., Schmoeckel, J., Santamaria, R.M. Cost-effectiveness of managing cavitated primary molar caries lesions: A randomized trial in Germany (2018) Journal of Dentistry, 78, pp. 40-45. Cited 7 times. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2018.05.022 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0300571217301306
- Schwendicke, F., Walsh, T., Fontana, M., Bjørndal, L., Clarkson, J.E., Lamont, T., Levey, C., Gostemeyer, G., Santamaria, R.M., Ricketts, D., Innes, N.P.T. Interventions for treating cavitated or dentine carious lesions (2018) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2018 (6), art. no. CD013039. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD013039
- Innes, N.P.T., Robertson, M.D. Recent advances in the management of childhood dental caries (2018) Archives of Disease in Childhood, 103 (4), pp. 311-315. Cited 1 time. DOI: 10.1136/archdischild-2017-313196
- Innes, N.P.T. Cariology Clinical Trials: What Are We-and What Should We Be-Looking At? (2018) Advances in dental research, 29 (1), pp. 4-8. Cited 1 time. DOI: 10.1177/0022034517735296
- McFadden, A., Siebelt, L., Gavine, A., Atkin, K., Bell, K., Innes, N., Jones, H., Jackson, C., Haggi, H., MacGillivray, S. Gypsy, Roma and Traveller access to and engagement with health services: A systematic review (2018) European Journal of Public Health, 28 (1), pp. 74-81. Cited 8 times. DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/ckx226 https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckx226
- Santamaría, R.M., Innes, N.P.T., Machiulskiene, V., Schmoeckel, J., Alkilzy, M., Splieth, C.H. Alternative Caries Management Options for Primary Molars: 2.5-Year Outcomes of a Randomised Clinical Trial (2018) Caries Research, 51 (6), pp. 605-614. Cited 18 times.DOI: 10.1159/000477855
- Schwendicke F, Frencken J, Innes N. Current concepts in carious tissue removal. Current Oral Health Reports. 2018.
- Alamoudi N. Sabbagh H, Innes NPT, Edris S, Butali A, Alnamnakandi E, Rabah S, Hamdan M. et al. Interferon Regulatory Factor 6 (IRF6) and Gene – Environment Interactions in Non-Syndromic Orofacial Cleft Cases in Saudi Arabia-A Case Control Study. Journal of Oral Hygiene and Health 2018, 6:1 DOI: 10.4172/2332-0702.1000233
- Santamaria RM, Innes N, Machiulskiene V, Schmoeckel J, Alkilzy M, Splieth CH. Alternative caries management options for primary molars: 2.5-yr outcomes of a randomised clinical trial. Caries Research. 2017;51(6):605-614.
- Rajendra A, Veitz-Keenan A, Oliveira BH, Ruff RR, Wong MCM, Innes NPT, Radford J, Seifo N, Niederman R. Topical silver diamine fluoride for managing dental caries in children and adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD012718 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD012718
- Gupta, E, Schuller, AA, Innes, N, Vermaire, JH & Marshman, Z 2017, 'A scoping review of the uses of the care index in children' Community Dental Health, vol 34, no. 3, pp. 131-136. DOI: 10.1922/CDH_4063Gupta06
- da Costa, AC, Rodrigues, FS, da Fonte, PP, Rosenblatt, A, Innes, NPT & Heimer, MV 2017, Influence of sense of coherence on adolescents' self-perceived dental aesthetics: a cross-sectional study BMC Oral Health. 17(117). DOI: 10.1186/s12903-017-0405-2
- Levey C, Innes N, Schwendicke F, Lamont T and Göstemeyer G. 2017 Outcomes in randomised controlled trials in prevention and management of carious lesions: a systematic review. BMC Trials 18: 515
- Innes NP and Manton DJ. Minimum intervention children’s dentistry – the starting point for a lifetime of oral health. Br Dent J. 2017223(3)205-12.
- Banerjee A. Frencken JE, Schwendicke F, Innes NPT. Contemporary operative caries management: consensus recommendations on caries removal. Br Dent J. 2017 223(3).
- Schwendicke F, Innes N, Levey C, Lamont T, Göstemeyer G. Comparator choice in caries prevention and management trials. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2017 Jun 23. Available from, DOI: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2017.05.019
- Innes NPT, Schwendicke F. Restorative Thresholds for Carious Lesions: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of Dental Research. 2017 May 1;96(5):501-508. Available from, DOI: 10.1177/0022034517693605
- Innes NPT, Evans DJP, Bonifacio CC, Geneser M, Hesse D, Hemier M, Kanellis M, Machiulskiene V, Narbutaite J, Olegario IC, Owais A, Araujo MP, Raggio DP, Splieth C, van Amerongen E, Weber-Gasparoni K, Santamaria RM. The Hall Technique 10 years on: Questions and answers. Br Dent J. 2017;222(6):478-83. Available from, DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2017.273
- Eaton, KA, Innes, N, Balaji, SM, Pugh, C, Honkala, E & Lynch, CD 2017, 'Don't be rejected, how can we help authors, reviewers and editors?: Report of a Symposium for Editors Publishers and Others with an Interest in Scientific Publication, Held in Boston on Wednesday, 11 March 2015, during the Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dental Research' Journal of Dentistry, vol 57, pp. 77-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2016.11.013.
- Schwendicke F, Stolpe M, Innes N: Conventional treatment, Hall Technique or immediate pulpotomy for carious primary molars: a cost-effectiveness analysis. International Endodontic Journal. 2016 49(9):817-826. doi: 10.1111/iej.12537. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/iej.12537
- Sabbagh HJ, Alamoudi NM, Abdulhameed FD, Innes NPT, Al-Aama JY, Hummaida T, et al. Environmental risk factors in the etiology of nonsyndromic orofacial clefts in the western region of Saudi Arabia. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 2016; 53(4):435-43
- McFadden A, Atkin K, Bell K, Innes N, Jackson C, Jones H, et al. Community engagement to enhance trust between Gypsy/Travellers, and maternity, early years’ and child dental health services: protocol for a multi-method exploratory study. International Journal for Equity in Health. 2016; 15.10. 1186/s12939-016-0475-9. https://discovery.dundee.ac.uk/admin/files/10943099/art_3A10.1186_2Fs12939_016_0475_9.pdf
- Innes NPT, Schwendicke F, Lamont T. How do we create, and improve, the evidence base? British Dental Journal. 2016; 220(12):651-5
- Innes NPT, Frencken JE, Bjørndal L, Maltz M, Manton DJ, Ricketts D, et al. Managing Carious Lesions: Consensus Recommendations on Terminology. Advances in Dental Research. 2016; 28(2):49.10.1177/0022034516639271
- Hesse D, de Araujo MP, Olegario I, Innes N, Raggio D, Bonifacio C. Atraumatic Restorative Treatment compared to the Hall Technique for occluso-proximal cavities in primary molars: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2016; 17(171).10.1186/s13063-016-1270z. https://trialsjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13063-016-1270-z
- Frencken JE, Innes NPT, Schwendicke F. Managing Carious Lesions. Advances in Dental Research. 2016;28(2):46-8. doi:10.1177/0022034516639272. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0022034516639272
- Frencken JE, Innes NPT, Schwendicke F. Managing Carious Lesions: Why Do We Need Consensus on Terminology and Clinical Recommendations on Carious Tissue Removal? Advances in Dental Research. 2016; 28(2):46.10.1177/0022034516639272
- Chen Z, Lu S, Schwendicke F, Innes NPT, Frencken JE. Caries management: expert consensus on caries removal. Chinese Journal of Stomatology. 2016; 51(12):712-6. http://www.cmadent.com/CN112144201612/932719.htm
- Stewart M, Keightley A, Maguire A, Chadwick B, Vale L, Homer T, et al. Investigating the management of carious primary teeth in general dental practice: an overview of the development and conduct of the FiCTION trial. Primary dental journal. 2015;4(4):67-73
- Innes N. Conventional treatment, Hall Technique or immediate pulpotomy for carious primary molars: A cost-effectiveness analysis. International Endodontic Journal. 2015; 49(9).10.1111/iej.12537
- Schwendicke F, Lamont T, Innes N. Outcomes in Trials for Management of Caries Lesions (OuTMaC): protocol. Trials. 2015;16(1):397.10.1186/s13063-015-0927-
- Santamaria RM, Innes NP, Machiulskiene V, Evans DJ, Alkilzy M, Splieth CH. Acceptability of different caries management methods for primary molars in a RCT. International Journal Paediatric Dentistry. 2015 Jan; 25(1):9-17.10.1111/ipd.12097. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ipd.12097/abstract;jsessionid=37B7041343D4256BBB38B65B5191A9E9.f04t04
- Sabbagh HJ, Innes NP, Sallout BI, Alamoudi NM, Hamdan MA, Alhamlan N, et al. Birth prevalence of non-syndromic orofacial clefts in Saudi Arabia and the effects of parental consanguinity. Saudi Medical Journal. 2015; 36(9):1076-83.10.15537/smj.2015.9.11823
- Innes NP, Ricketts D, Chong L, Keightley AJ, Lamont T, Santamaria R. Preformed metal crowns for decayed primary molar teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015 Jan 24(12): CD005512.10.1002/14651858.CD005512.pub3
- Innes N, Stewart M, Souster G, Evans D. The Hall Technique; retrospective case-note follow-up of 5-year RCT. British dental journal. 2015; 219(8):395
- Borrie FR, Bearn DR, Innes NP, Iheozor-Ejiofor Z. Interventions for the cessation of non-nutritive sucking habits in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015 Mar 31(3): CD008694.10.1002/14651858.CD008694.pub2. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008694.pub2/abstract
- Santamaria RM, Splieth NPT, Innes V, Evans DJP, Machiulskiene CH. Caries management strategies for primary molars: 1-yr randomized control trial results. Journal of Dental Research. 2014; 93(11):1062-9 http://jdr.sagepub.com/content/93/11/1062.long
- Sabbagh H, Hassan M, Innes N, Al Baik A, Mossey PA. Parental Consanguinity and Nonsyndromic Orofacial Clefts in Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analyses. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal; 2014. p. 501-13. http://www.cpcjournal.org/doi/abs/10.1597/12-209?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed&
- Keightley A, Clarkson J, Maguire A, Speed C, Innes N. Participant recruitment to FiCTION, a primary dental care trial - survey of facilitators and barriers. British dental journal. 2014; 217(10):E22. http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v217/n10/full/sj.bdj.2014.1009.html
- Foster Page LA, Boyd DH, Davidson SE, Thomson WM, Innes NPT. Acceptability of the Hall Technique in New Zealand. New Zealand Dental Journal. 2014:12-7
- Alamoudi N, Sabbagh HJ, Innes N, El Derwi D, Hanno A, Al-Aama J, et al. Prevalence and characteristics of non-syndromic orofacial clefts and the influence of consanguinity. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry. 2014; 38(3):241-6. http://pediatricdentistry.metapress.com/content/bm4m2158v17p2535/?genre=article&issn=1053-4628&volume=38&issue=3&spage=241
- Ricketts D, Lamont T, Innes NP, Kidd E, Clarkson JE. Operative caries management in adults and children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2013 Mar 28(3):CD003808.10.1002/14651858.CD003808.pub3. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003808.pub3/abstract
- Innes NPT, Evans DJP. Modern approaches to caries management of the primary dentition. British dental journal. 2013; 214(11):559
- Innes NPT, Clarkson JE, Speed C, Douglas GVA, Maguire A. The FiCTION dental trial protocol - filling children's teeth: indicated or not? BMC Oral Health. 2013; 13:25. http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1472-6831-13-25.pdf
- Innes N, Borrie F, Bearn D, Evans D, Rauchhaus P, McSwiggan S, et al. Should I eXtract Every Six dental trial (SIXES): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2013;14:59 http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/14/1/59
- Bradbury-Jones C, Innes N, Evans D, Ballantyne F, Taylor J. Dental neglect as a marker of broader neglect: a qualitative investigation of public health nurses' assessments of oral health in preschool children. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:370. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/13/370
- Sabbagh HJ, Mossey PA, Innes NPT. Prevalence of orofacial clefts in Saudi Arabia and neighboring countries: A systematic review. The Saudi Dental Journal. 2012; 24(1):3. http://www.saudidentaljournal.com/article/S1013-9052%2811%2900071-X/abstract
- Marshman Z, Innes N, Deery C, Hall M, Speed C, Douglas G, et al. The management of dental caries in primary teeth - involving service providers and users in the design of a trial. Trials. 2012; 13:143. http://www.trialsjournal.com/content/13/1/143
- Innes NPT, Evans DJP, Stirrups DR. Sealing caries in primary molars: randomized control trial, 5-year results. Journal of Dental Research. 2011; 90(12):1405. http://jdr.sagepub.com/content/90/12/1405.abstract
- Innes NPT, Marshman Z, Vendan RE. A group of general dental practitioners' views of preformed metal crowns after participation in the Hall technique clinical trial: a mixed-method evaluation. Primary Dental Care: 2010; 17(1):33. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/fgdp/pdc/2010/00000017/00000001/art00017?crawler=true
- Innes N, Evans D, Hall N. The Hall Technique for managing carious primary molars. Dental update. 2009; 36(8):472
- Innes NP, Ricketts DN, Evans DJ. Preformed metal crowns for decayed primary molar teeth. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. 2007 Jan 24(1): CD005512.10.1002/14651858.CD005512.pub2. http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD005512/preformed-metal-crowns-for-managing-decayed-primary-molar-teeth-in-children
- Innes Nicola P, Evans Dafydd JP, Stirrups David R. The Hall Technique; a randomized controlled clinical trial of a novel method of managing carious primary molars in general dental practice: acceptability of the technique and outcomes at 23 months. BMC Oral Health. 2007; 7(1):18. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6831/7/18
- Ricketts DN, Kidd EA, Innes N, Clarkson J. Complete or ultraconservative removal of decayed tissue in unfilled teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2006 Jul 19(3):CD003808.10.1002/14651858.CD003808.pub2. http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD003808/complete-or-ultraconservative-removal-of-decayed-tissue-in-unfilled-teeth
- Innes NPT, Stirrups DR, Evans DJP, Hall N, Leggate M. A novel technique using preformed metal crowns for managing carious primary molars in general practice - a retrospective analysis. British Dental Journal. 2006; 200(8):451. http://www.nature.com/bdj/journal/v200/n8/abs/4813466a.html
- Innes NP, Evans DJ, Clarkson JE, Foley JI. Obtaining an evidence-base for clinical dentistry through clinical trials. Primary Dental Care. 2005 Jul; 12(3):91-6. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/fgdp/pdc/2005/00000012/00000003/art00011?token=005c1cee17d110f9354e5a666f3a7b6c7a40386f3547675d7e662a49264f652330434f58762f467e273c43552cb0
- Evans DJP, Southwick CAP, Foley JI, Innes NPT, Pavitt SH, Hall N. The Hall Technique: a pilot trial of a novel use of preformed metal crowns for managing carious primary teeth. Tuith Online. 2000. http://www.dundee.ac.uk/tuith/Articles/rt03.htm
- Innes NP, Ogden GR. A technique for the study of endocytosis in human oral epithelial cells. Archives of Oral Biology. 1999; 44(6):519
- Innes NP. Biology and function of the reversible sulfation pathway catalysed by human sulfotransferases and sulfatases. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 1998; 1(109):3-27
- Acting Academic Head of Department and curriculum developer: Undergraduate Child Dental Health programme, (lecture, lead tutorials, involved in setting and marking written examinations for 3rd, 4th and 5th BDS and lead OSCE for 4th BDS)
- Clinical supervision and learning support for undergraduates
- Lead curriculum developer: Undergraduate Evidence Based Dentistry and Clinical Informatics course
- Contributor to Undergraduate final year Health Care Law and Professionalism
- Responsible for development and maintenance of the Child Dental Health Section of “MyDundee” electronic educational resource for Undergraduate Students
- Development and delivery of courses on Child Dental Health, Children’s Dentistry, Evidence Based Dentistry, Management of the Anxious Child and Cariology to general, specialist and training postgraduate dentists around the UK and abroad (Ireland, Holland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand)
- E-Den Module Author for module (The Hall Technique) of the dental e-Learning for Healthcare package which is being developed by the Department of Health in partnership with the Professional Bodies and the NHS.
Innes, NPT & Evans, DJP 2013, 'Evidence of improved access to dental care with direct access arrangements' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 14, no. 2, pp. 36-37. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400926
Sabbagh, HJ, Mossey, PA & Innes, NPT 2012, 'Prevalence of orofacial clefts in Saudi Arabia and neighboring countries: A systematic review' Saudi Dental Journal, vol 24, no. 1, pp. 3-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2011.11.001
Innes, NPT & Stewart, M 2015, 'The Hall technique, a simplified method for placing stainless steel crowns on primary molars, may be as successful as traditionally placed crowns' Journal of Evidence-Based Dental Practice, vol 15, no. 2, pp. 70-72. DOI: 10.1016/j.jebdp.2015.03.008
Sabbagh, HJ, Alamoudi, NM, Abdulhameed, FD, Innes, N, Al-Aama, JY, Hummaida, T, Almalik, M, El Derwi, DA & Mossey, PA 2016, 'Environmental Risk Factors in the Etiology of Nonsyndromic Orofacial Clefts in the Western Region of Saudi Arabia' Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol 53, no. 4, pp. 435-443. DOI: 10.1597/14-136
Gupta, E, Innes, N, Schuller, AA, Vermaire, JH & Marshman, Z 2017, 'A scoping review of the uses of the care index in children' Community Dental Health, vol 34, no. 3, pp. 131-136. DOI: 10.1922/CDH_4063Gupta06
Lamont, T & Innes, N 2013, 'Study suggests dentine bonding agents provided better relief from dentine hypersensitivity than a desensitising toothpaste' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 14, no. 4, pp. 105-106. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400965
Innes, NPT 2009, 'Traumatic intrusion of primary teeth and developmental defects in successor teeth' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 10, no. 3, pp. 70-1. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400663
Alamoudi, NM, Sabbagh, HJ, Innes, NPT, El Derwi, D, Hanno, AZ, Al-Aama, JY, Habiballah, AH & Mossey, PA 2014, 'Prevalence and characteristics of non-syndromic orofacial clefts and the influence of consanguinity' Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, vol 38, no. 3, pp. 241-246. DOI: 10.17796/jcpd.38.3.bm4m2158v17p2535
Innes, N, Santamaria, R, Duggal, M & Splieth, C 2016, 'Letter to the editor' Pediatric Dentistry, vol 38, no. 4, pp. 278-279.
Levey, C, Innes, N, Schwendicke, F, Lamont, T & Göstemeyer, G 2017, 'Outcomes in randomised controlled trials in prevention and management of carious lesions: a systematic review' Trials, vol 18, 515, pp. 1-11. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-017-2256-1
Gilchrist, F, Howell, JL, Gavens, DP, North, S, Innes, NPT & Rodd, HD 2011, 'Clinical outcomes for preformed metal crowns placed by dental undergraduates' International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, vol 21, no. s2, P9, pp. 12. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-263X.2011.01167_5.x
Innes, N & De Jesús Pozos Guillén, A 2010, 'Enamel matrix derivative for direct pulp capping' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 11, no. 2, pp. 45-46. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400719
Innes, N 2015, 'The gentle touch: the Hall Technique', pp. 14, 4 Denplan.
Souster, G & Innes, N 2014, 'Some clarification of trigger signs for dental neglect' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 15, no. 1, pp. 2-3. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400996
Santamaria, RM, Innes, N, Machiulskiene, V, Schmoeckel, J, Alkilzy, M & Splieth, CH 2017, 'Alternative caries management options for primary molars: 2.5-yr outcomes of a randomised clinical trial' Caries Research, vol 51, no. 6. DOI: 10.1159/000477855
Innes, N & Evans, D 2012, 'Challenges in early childhood caries management - Fluoride programmes for children' Oralprophylaxe und Kinderzahnheilkunde, vol 34, no. 4, pp. 158-160. DOI: 10.3238/OPKZH.2012.0158-0160
Ricketts, D, Kidd, E, Innes, NPT & Clarkson, JE 2009, 'Complete or ultraconservative removal of decayed tissue in unfilled teeth' Australian Dental Journal, vol 54, no. 3, pp. 274-276. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2009.01133.x
Schwendicke, F, Lamont, T & Innes, N 2015, 'Outcomes in Trials for Management of Caries Lesions (OuTMaC): protocol' Trials, vol 16, 397. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-015-0927-3
McFadden, A, Atkin, K, Bell, K, Innes, N, Jackson, C, Jones, H, MacGillivray, S & Siebelt, L 2016, 'Community engagement to enhance trust between Gypsy/Travellers, and maternity, early years’ and child dental health services: protocol for a multi-method exploratory study' International Journal for Equity in Health, vol 15, 183, pp. 1-9. DOI: 10.1186/s12939-016-0475-9
McFadden, A, Siebelt, L, Gavine, A, Atkin, K, Bell, K, Innes, N, Jones, H, Jackson, C, Haggi, HM & MacGillivray, S 2018, 'Gypsy, Roma and Traveller access to and engagement with health services: a systematic review' European Journal of Public Health, vol 28, no. 1, pp. 74-81. DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/ckx226
Innes, NPT, Clarkson, JE, Speed, C, Douglas, GVA & Maguire, A 2013, 'The FiCTION dental trial protocol -- filling children's teeth: Indicated or not?' BMC Oral Health, vol 13, 25. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6831-13-25
Chadwick, B, Borland, R, Evans, D, Innes, N, Mackie, J, Treasure, E, Topping, G & Steele, J 2008, 'Change the bathwater' British Dental Journal, vol 205, no. 8, pp. 413. DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2008.895
Sabbagh, HJ, Innes, NP, Sallout, BI, Alamoudi, NM, Hamdan, MA, Alhamlan, N, Al-Khozami, AI, Abdulhameed, FD, Al-Aama, JY & Mossey, PA 2015, 'Birth prevalence of non-syndromic orofacial clefts in Saudi Arabia and the effects of parental consanguinity' Saudi Medical Journal, vol 36, no. 9, pp. 1076-1083. DOI: 10.15537/smj.2015.9.11823
Eaton, KA, Innes, N, Balaji, SM, Pugh, C, Honkala, E & Lynch, CD 2017, 'Don't be rejected, how can we help authors, reviewers and editors?: Report of a Symposium for Editors Publishers and Others with an Interest in Scientific Publication, Held in Boston on Wednesday, 11 March 2015, during the Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dental Research' Journal of Dentistry, vol 57, pp. 77-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2016.11.013
Innes, NPT 2018, 'Cariology Clinical Trials: What Are We-and What Should We Be-Looking At?' Advances in Dental Research: an E-Supplement to Journal of Dental Research, vol 29, no. 1, pp. 4-8. DOI: 10.1177/0022034517735296
Invited International Lectures
- University of Michigan September 2015. The FiCTION Trial; Making it FACT!
- University of Iowa, September 2015. 1. Cochrane Reviews for Oral Health & 2. The Hall Technique as part of Minimal Intervention Dentistry.
- International Association for Paediatric Dentistry, Glasgow. June 2015. How Should We Prevent and Manage Dental Caries; What Are Children in Clinical Trials Telling Us?
- Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil. June 2015. Clinical management of caries in children.
- Core Outcomes in Cariology Clinical Trials; Consensus Methodology. International Cariology Consensus Conference Brussels 24th /25th February 2015
- Danish Dental Association, Nyborg, Denmark. “The Hall Technique for Managing Carious Primary Molars Sept 2014
- 92nd General Session & Exhibition of the IADR. IADR Africa/Middle East Regional Meeting Cape Town, South Africa Invited Symposium Speaker at Clinical Trials and Methodology Development for Patient-Oriented Outcomes Symposium Patient-Oriented Outcomes in Cariology and Restorative Dentistry Clinical Trials; Should We Be Changing Our Focus?
- Geneva University, Restorative and Paediatric Dentists‘ Group “New Approaches to Managing the Carious Primary Dentition” 28th May 2014.
- Trinity College, Dublin, Specialists Group, “The Hall Technique” and “Using Evidence Day to Day”. 8th May 2014
- Universidad de La Frontera, Temuco, Chile “Evidence and the Approaches for Managing the Carious Primary Dentition”; “Interpreting the Evidence” and “The Hall Technique” 12th March2014
- Dutch Dental Society, Rotterdam “The Tooth in all its facets” November 2013
- German Society for Paediatric Dentistry (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kinderzahnheilkunde) 14th/15th March 2013. “The Hall Technique for Managing Carious Primary Molars”
- Dutch Society of Paediatric Dentistry Symposium. Netherlands, Nov 9th/10th 2012. “Management Strategies for the Carious Primary Dentition”
- European Association for Paediatric Dentistry 2012. Invited Speaker (GABA Symposium). "Fluoride Programmes for Children"
- New Zealand School and Community Oral Health Services Society Annual Meeting 2011. Keynote speaker; "A Child Centred Approach to Children’s Oral Health Care"
- 2011 National Clinical Directors meeting in Waitangi, New Zealand. "Improving Delivery of Child Dental Care"
- Australian Dental Association Victoria Board. Melbourne, Australia (30/31st July 2010). Key note speaker "A Practical Approach to Managing the Carious Primary Dentition - Child Friendly Dentistry in the UK"
- Tasmania Oral Health Services (Launceston and Hobart 26th/28th July 2010). "Practical Solutions to Clinical Problems - Planning Treatment for the Child Patient" and "The Hall Technique for managing Carious Primary Molars - What, How, When and Why?"
- Dutch Association of Paediatric Dentistry Symposium. Amsterdam, Netherlands 2009. "Alternative strategies for oral health care in (special-need) children"
- Irish Health Service Executive Dental Staff 2008. Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland. "Managing the Carious Primary Dentition"
- Minnesota University Dental School. May 2010. "Paediatric Dentistry in the UK; Where does the Hall Technique fit in?"
Invited Lectures at National Meetings
- Faculty of General Dental Practitioners 2014 Royal College of Surgeons, London Friday 5th Nov. “Essentials of Research Methodology; Putting Together the Protocol”.
- British Society of Dental Hygiene and Therapy 2014 Edinburgh Sat 4th Oct. “Managing Caries in Children; Evidence Based Approaches”.
- British Dental Conference and Exhibition 2013 ExCel, London 25th to 27th April. “Dental Caries: New Approaches to Managing the Auld Enemy”.
- National Conference for the British Society of Paediatric Dentistry 2012. Keynote Speaker. “Current Trends in Primary Caries Management”.
- British Association of Dental Therapists National Conference Cumberland Hotel, London, 2010. The Hall Technique; How Can It Help My Patients?
- British Dental Conference and Exhibition. SECC, Glasgow, UK, 2009. Plenary Session Speaker. Pathways of Care for Children with Dental Caries; Improving acceptability and outcomes through changing priorities, and understanding the disease.
- British Society of Paediatric Dentistry Conference, Methods Behind the Madness. London, UK, September 2007. Key note speaker: Managing Dental Caries: Evidence for a New Approach - The Hall Technique.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Spring Meeting. Glasgow, UK, March 2007. Clinical Management of Dental Caries: Legends, Conventions, and Evidence for a New Approach.
- Primary Care Annual Symposium 2006. Hallam University, Sheffield, UK. Evidence Based Strategies for Managing the Primary Dentition.