I graduated in Dentistry from the University of Glasgow in 2008. I then completed Dental Foundation Training in Glasgow and Dumfries prior to moving to Dundee to work as a Senior House Officer.
In 2011, I was appointed to my current role of Clinical Research Fellow/ Honorary Specialty Training Registrar in Restorative Dentistry at the University of Dundee Dental School. For ten years I also worked in primary dental care in a family NHS practice on Saturdays in East Kilbride, Glasgow.
I am also a clinical editor and systematic reviewer at Cochrane Oral Health. I am a member of the Scottish Dental Practice Based Research Network (SDPBRN) Steering Committee promoting the implementation of evidence-based practice in Scotland.
From August 2018, I completed a year-long secondment with the Scottish Government in the Healthcare Quality and Improvement Directorate. This role was part of the NHS Education for Scotland’s Scottish Clinical Leadership Fellowship programme. I continue to work in the Scottish Government one day a week
My research interests include health services research, patient involvement in research and the promotion and implementation of evidence-based practice in primary dental care.
I am involved in primary and secondary research through my work in primary care based clinical trials; the Scottish Dental Practice Based Research Network and the Cochrane Oral Health.
I was the Clinical Research Fellow of the National Institute for Health Research ‘Improving the Quality of Dentistry’ (IQuaD) Clinical trial. This multicentre randomised controlled trial compared oral hygiene advice and periodontal instrumentation for the prevention and management of periodontal (gum) disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care.
Completing my PhD in 2018, I investigated the best way to prevent and treat periodontal disease, and led the development a core outcome set to be used in future periodontal research.
I am a co-investigator on the National Institute for Health Research ‘Selective Caries Removal in Permanent Teeth’ (SCRIPT) Trial. This trial is assessing the best way to treat dental caries (decay).
- “A contemporary update on ‘soft’ linings.” – Prof F McCord, Dr A Donaldson and Mr TJ Lamont. Dent Update 2011; 38:102-104.
- “Operative caries management in adults and Children” - Prof DNJ Ricketts, Mr TJ Lamont, Dr NPT Innes, Prof E Kidd and Prof JE Clarkson. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD003808. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003808.pub3.
- “Accessing the Best Available Evidence” Mr TJ Lamont, Mr A Keightley and Prof J Clarkson. Dent Update 2013; 40: 482-486.
- Riley P, Lamont T. Triclosan/copolymer containing toothpastes for oral health. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD010514. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD010514.pub2.
- “IQuaD dental trial; improving the quality of dentistry: a multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing oral hygiene advice and periodontal instrumentation for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care” – Clarkson et al. BMC Oral Health 2013, 13:58 doi:10.1186/1472-6831-13-58
- “Practical considerations for conducting dental clinical trials in primary care” J. M. Martin-Kerry, T. J. Lamont, A. Keightley, H. Calache, Martin, R. Floate, K. Princi and A. M. de Silva. British Dental Journal 2015; 218: 629-634, DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2015.397
- “Outcomes in Trials for Management of Caries Lesions (OuTMaC): protocol” Falk Schwendicke, Thomas Lamont and Nicola Innes. Trials 2015, 16:397 doi:10.1186/s13063-015-0927-3
- “Why we need a core outcome set for trials of interventions for prevention and management of caries” Thomas Lamont, Falk Schwendicke and Nicola Innes. Evidence-Based Dentistry (2015) 16, 66–68. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6401109
- “Preformed crowns for decayed primary molar teeth.” Innes NPT, Ricketts D, Chong LY, Keightley AJ, Lamont T, Santamaria RM. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD005512. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005512.pub3
- “How do we create, and improve, the evidence base?” N. P. T. Innes, F. Schwendicke & Mr TJ Lamont. British Dental Journal 220, 651 - 655 (2016). doi:10.1038/sj.bdj.2016.451
- “Chlorhexidine mouthrinse as an adjunctive treatment for gingival health” James P, Worthington HV, Parnell C, Harding M, Lamont T, Cheung A, Whelton H, Riley P. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD008676. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD008676.pub2.
- “Core outcomes in periodontal trials: study protocol for core outcome set development.” Lamont, T. J., Clarkson, J. E., Ricketts, D. N. J., Heasman, P. A., & Ramsay, C. R. (2017). Trials, 18, 1-4. . DOI: 10.1186/s13063-017-2169-z
- "Comparator choice in caries prevention and management trials." Schwendicke, F., Innes, N., Levey, C., Lamont, T. & Göstemeyer, G. J Clin Epidemiol. 2017 Jun 23. pii: S0895-4356(17)30211-1. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2017.05.019. [Epub ahead of print].
- “Outcomes in randomised controlled trials in prevention and management of carious lesions: a systematic review” Colin Levey, Nicola Innes, Falk Schwendicke, Thomas Lamont and Gerd Göstemeyer; Trials 2017 18:515; DOI 10.1186/s13063-017-2256-1
- “One‐to‐one oral hygiene advice provided in a dental setting for oral health”. Soldani FA, Lamont T, Jones K, Young L, Walsh T, Lala R, Clarkson JE. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2018, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD007447. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007447.pub2.
- Lamont T, Worthington HV, Clarkson JE, Beirne PV. Routine scale and polish for periodontal health in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2018, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD004625. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD004625.pub5.
- Schwendicke F, Walsh T, Fontana M, Bjørndal L, Clarkson JE, Lamont T, Levey C, Gostemeyer G, Santamaria RM, Ricketts D, Innes NPT. Interventions for treating cavitated or dentine carious lesions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2018, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD013039. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD013039.
NIHR HTA Monograph
- “Improving the Quality of Dentistry (IQuaD): A cluster factorial randomised controlled trial comparing the effectiveness and cost benefit of oral hygiene advice and/or periodontal instrumentation to routine care for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care.” Craig R Ramsay, Jan E Clarkson, Anne Duncan, Thomas J Lamont, Peter A Heasman, Dwayne Boyers, Beatriz Goulão, Debbie Bonetti, Rebecca Bruce, Jill Gouick, Lynne Heasman, Laura A Lovelock-Hempleman, Lorna E Macpherson, Giles I McCracken, Alison M McDonald, Fiona McLaren-Neil, Fiona E Mitchell, John DT Norrie, Marjon van der Pol, Kirsty Sim, James G Steele, Alex Sharp, Graeme Watt, Helen V Worthington and Linda Young. NIHR HTA library.
- Triclosan/copolymer containing toothpastes for oral health Cochrane review. Riley P, Lamont T. https://www.cochrane.org/podcasts/10.1002/14651858.CD010514.pub2
- Routine scale and polish for periodontal health in adults. Thomas Lamont, Helen V Worthington, Janet E Clarkson, Paul V Beirne. https://www.cochrane.org/news/podcast-routine-scale-and-polish-periodontal-health-adults
- “Removing or controlling? How caries management impacts on the lifetime of teeth” Falk Schwendicke, Thomas Lamont and Nicola Innes. In "Caries excavation: Evolution of treating cavitated caries lesions”, Monographs in oral science 27:32-41. May 2018. DOI: 10.1159/000487829.
- “Small trial finds beneficial effect for MI Paste in preventing white spot lesions during orthodontic treatment.” Rollings, Sam; Greene, Louise; Borrie, Felicity; Lamont, Thomas. In: Evidence-Based Dentistry, Vol. 13, No. 4, 12.2012, p. 117-118.
- “Lower concentration of chlorhexidine and cetyl-pyridinium chloride mouthwash demonstrates some efficacy” Thomas Lamont Evid Based Dent 13: 52-53; doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400862.
- No differences in gingival health associated outcomes following single-visit scale and polish. Thomas Lamont. Evidence-based dentistry 01/2012; 13(4):114.
- “Four implant bar-connected implants sufficient to support a maxillary overdenture” Gareth Calvert, Thomas Lamont. Evidence-based dentistry 01/2013; 14(2):49-50.
- “Clinical Outcomes of Single-Visit Oral Prophylaxis: A Practice-based Randomised Controlled Trial” Thomas Lamont – In Evidence-Based Dentistry (2012) 13, 114. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400897.
- “A practice-based randomised controlled trial of the efficacy of three interventions to reduce dentinal hypersensitivity. J Dent 2013; 41: 668-674.” NPT Innes and TJ Lamont; Evidence-Based Dentistry