Dr Mohammad Islam graduated in from Jahangirnagar University, Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2005 with an honours degree in Pharmacy. He then started working as a Production Officer in Incepta Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Dhaka. He moved in the UK for his Masters course in the Abertay University, Dundee and was awarded MSc degree in Biotechnology in 2008. He then studied for a PhD in Oral Cancer Biology at the Dundee Dental School, University of Dundee under the supervision of Dr. Ian R Ellis and Dr. Sarah J Jones and was graduated in 2015. During his PhD, Mohammad published a number of research papers and attended in various national and international conferences to present his work. He worked in the Dental School as a lecturer from July 2016 until August 2018. He is a trained mental health first aider and university harassment adviser.
Mohammad’s research interests fall into three main categories: oral cancer, biomaterials and craniofacial abnormalities. Mohammad’s specific research interest focused on elucidating the role of cell signalling pathways in oral cancer metastasis and palatogenesis and biocompatibility & tissue regeneration.
He is also working on developing 3D in vitro model of palatal shelves by co-culturing method.
He is currently involved in a number of Summer intern, MSc and PhD projects.
- Role of cancer associated fibroblasts in oral cancer metastasis
- Characterisation of alternative bone graft materials for cleft palate repair
- Collagen type I as an inducer of fibroblasts attachment to different dental restorative cements and the consequences on biocompatibility and physical properties
- Developing a 3D spheroid model of the palatal shelves and investigating the downstream signalling mechanism of TGFβ3-induced palatal medial edge seam disintegration.
- Role of TGFβ1-induced signalling pathways in oral cancer cell migration
Mohammad is currently involved in demonstrating laboratory practical and teaching research students the use of various scientific techniques.
- Islam M, Alghamdi A, Sriramula P, Shalgm B, Jones S & Ellis I, (2018) Is it all just an Akt - you’d be SMAD to believe it! Role of TGFβ1 in oral cancer metastasis. Dental Oral Biology and Craniofacial Research, 1(3), 1-10. doi: 10.31487/ j.DOBCR. 2018.03.004
- Islam M, Mane S, Hyder E, Jones S & Ellis, I (2017) The motogenic effect of EGF and TGF-α on the migration of tumor cells from the oral region. Translational Research in Oral Oncology, 2, 2057178X17698481.
- Islam MR, Jones SJ, Macluskey M, Ellis IR., (2014) Is there a pAkt between VEGF and oral cancer cell migration? Cellular Signalling, 26(6), 1294-1306.
- Islam MR, Ellis IR, Cochrane L, Macluskey M, Jones SJ., (2014) Activation of Akt at T308 and S473 in alcohol, tobacco and HPV-induced HNSCC: Is there evidence to support a prognostic or diagnostic role? Experimental Hematology and Oncology, 3, 25. doi: 10.1186/2162-3619-3-25.
- Tummala H, Khalil HS, Islam MR, Jones S, Ellis IR, D’Ascanio I, Zhelev N, Lester D, (2013) The alternate GNB3 splice variant, Gβ3s, exhibits an altered signalling response to EGF stimulation, which leads to enhanced cell migration. Biodiscovery; 9, e8953. DOI: 10.7750/BioDiscovery.2013.9.3
- Ellis IR, Islam MR, Aljorani L, Jones SJ. (2012) Fibronectin: the N-terminal region and its role in cell migration- implications for disease and healing. in Beattie, J., (ed). Fibronectin: Current Concepts in Structure, Function and Pathology. NY, Nova Science Publishers, pp. 35-69.
- Islam M, Alkhadar H, Paterson M, Macluskey M, Jones S, Mossey P, Ellis I., (2011) VEGF and Oral cancer: Ex-vivo and In-vitro studies, Eur J Cancer; 47. doi:10.1016/S0959-8049(11)72235-3.
- Schor AM, Perrier S, Woolston AM, Jones SJ, Ellis IR, Islam MR, Kazmi S,Purdie C,Thompson AM, and Schor SL., (2010), Expression of migration stimulating factor in breast tissues and its clinical significance, Breast Cancer Res,12(Suppl 1):,P37.
- Islam MR., Faruque A., Rana M S., (2005), Study on liver function enzymes among the university students, Bangladesh J.Life Sci., 17(1), 93-98.
- Annual research symposium 2013, CMDN, University of Dundee, UK
- INSPIRE/DRAMS research event on oral cancer 2013, Dundee, UK
- TOR, PI3K and Akt -20 years on 2010, Basel, Switzerland
- Dundee/Belfast cancer centre’s joint cancer symposium 2011, Dundee, UK
- EACR/IACR joint conference on tumour microenvironment 2012, Dublin, Ireland
- 9th NCRI cancer conference 2013, Liverpool, UK
- College Research Symposium, University of Dundee, 2013.