Dr Evans graduated from the London Dental Hospital, worked as a General Dental Practitioner and then in the Community Dental Service. He joined the Children’s Department, Glasgow Dental School, completed higher training in Paediatric Dentistry, and obtained a PhD. He joined Dundee Dental School in 1995 as Head of Department, Senior Lecturer/Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry.
Dr Evans has chaired two guidance development groups on prevention and management of dental caries in children (SIGN and SDCEP). He has been involved in randomised control clinical trials in Primary Care involving restorative materials, Hall crowns and the use of dental lasers. Current clinical trials he is working on include FiCTION, SIXES, Germany and New Zealand based trials looking at the Hall Technique. His main research interest is developing approaches based on the biological management of dental caries which will be both effective and acceptable to both patients and dentists..
Competitive Research Grants Awarded:
- 2012 - £27,254 - Higher Education Academy: Motivational interviewing Techniques for Dental Students: Development and assessment of the effectiveness of an educational intervention.
- 2011 - £10,000 - Queen’s Nursing Institute for Scotland. "Health Visitors’ role in assessing oral health in children: investigating dental neglect thresholds".
2010 - £60,160 - British Orthodontic Society Fund. Co-investigator. "SIXES: Should I eXtract Every SiX? A randomised control trial" To determine whether compensating extraction of maxillary first permanent molars following loss of mandibular first permanent molars in children is of benefit. Further information can be found at www.sixes.org.uk
2008 - £2,869,716 – Collaborator HTA Priority Area: 07/44 Treatment of caries in primary teeth FiCTION - Filling Children's Teeth: Indicated Or Not?
- 2000 - £145,000 - Principal Investigator, CSO Primary Care Research Training Fellowship £105,000; 3M/ESPE £40,000.
- 2011 - £600 - Tattersall Scholarship: BMSc student support funds for project entitled, Microleakage quantification and relationship to marginal adaptation of Hall Technique fitted preformed metal crowns in extracted primary molar teeth.
- 2009 - £1,470 - Tattersall Scholarship: Pump priming funding for Clinical Fellowship application, "Investigation of the feasibility of collection, storage and transportation of carious biofilm samples, followed by extraction of microbial DNA of sufficient quality to allow high throughput metagenomic analysis using Human Oral Microbe Identification microarray".
- Curriculum developer: Undergraduate Child Dental Health programme, (lecture, lead tutorials, involved in setting and marking written examinations for 3rd, 4th and 5th BDS and lead OSCE for 4th BDS)
- Clinical supervision and learning support for undergraduates
- Lead curriculum developer: Caries Aetiology and Prevention
- Development and delivery of courses on Child Dental Health, Children's Dentistry, Evidence Based Dentistry, Management of the Anxious Child and Cariology to general, specialist and training postgraduate dentists around the UK and abroad (Ireland, Holland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand)
- E-Den Module Author for module (The Hall Technique) of the dental e-Learning for Healthcare package which is being developed by the Department of Health in partnership with the Professional Bodies and the NHS
- The efficacy of rubber dam isolation in reducing atmospheric bacterial contamination. Samaranayake, L., Reid, J. & Evans, D. Journal of Dentistry for Children (1989) 56: 442-444
- A review of referral patterns to paediatric dental consultant clinics. Evans, D., Attwood, D., Blinkhorn, A. & Reid, J. Community Dental Health (1991) 2: 18-20
- Oral health education for the medically compromised child. Attwood, D & Evans. D. Journal of the Institute of Health Education 30:57-59 1992
- A comparison of two different wavelengths of laser doppler flowmeters in the assessment of pulp vitality. Evans, D., Strang, R. & Reid, J. International Endodontic Journal 26:18-19 1993
- A clinical study of glass polyalkenoate cements as a restorative material for deciduous teeth. Attwood, D., Reid, J. & Evans, D. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry. 2:183-185 1994
- Dens invaginatus: an avoidable complication. Evans, D. & Reid, J. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 5: 263-264 1995
- A comparison of laser Doppler flowmetry with other methods of assessing the vitality of traumatised anterior teeth. Evans D, Reid J, Strang R, Stirrups D Endodontics and Dental Traumatology 1999; 15: 284–290
- The effect of wavelength, bandwidth, and probe design and position on assessing the vitality of anterior teeth with laser Doppler flowmetry E. M. Roebuck, D. J. P. Evans, D. Stirrups & R. Strang. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2000; 10:213-220
- The Hall Technique: a pilot trial of a novel use of preformed metal crowns for managing carious primary teeth. Evans, DJP, Southwick CAP, Foley JI, Innes NPT, Pavitt SH & Hall N. Tuith Online http://www.dundee.ac.uk/tuith/Articles/rt03.htm (2000)
- A clinical evaluation of an Erbium:YAG laser for dental cavity preparation, D. J. P. Evans, S. Matthews, N. B. Pitts, C. Longbottom , Z. J. Nugent, British Dental Journal 2000 188:677-679
- "The management of severe dental phobia in an adolescent boy: a case report" Levitt J, McGoldrick P & Evans D International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 10 (2000) 348-353
- Measurement of competency in Dentistry - a study into the assessment of a clinical skill using a Structured Clinical Operative Test Scott, B.J.J., Evans, D.J.P., Drummond, J.R., Mossey, P.A. & Stirrups, D.R. European Journal of Dental Education 5 (2001) 31-37
- Advanced tooth wear: restoration using a double-veneer technique, Foley J & Evans DJP European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2 (2001) 139-144
- Black copper phosphate cement: does it have a future? Foley J, Evans D J P, Lloyd C H & Blackwell A The European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 9 (2001) 67-71
- Referral of children to a general anaesthetic dental service in Tayside. Foley J, Evans D J P & Blackwell A Health Bulletin 59 (2001) 139-142
- Restoration of primary teeth: a study of copper phosphate cement. Foley J, Evans D J P & Blackwell A Health Bulletin 59 (2001) 45-48
- Partial caries removal and cariostatic materials in carious primary molar teeth: a randomised controlled clinical trial. Foley, J, Evans D, Blackwell A. British Dental Journal 2004 Dec 11;197(11):697-701; discussion 689.
- Managing the Carious Primary Dentition in General Practice; Issues Regarding Obtaining an Evidence-Base through Clinical Trials. Innes, N P T. Evans, D J P. Clarkson J E. Foley J I. Primary Dental Care 12(3):91-96 2005
- A Retrospective Analysis of a Novel Technique Using Preformed Metal Crowns for Managing Carious Primary Molars in General Practice. Innes, N P T. Stirrups D R. Evans, D J P. Hall, N. Leggate, M British Dental Journal 200 (8): 451-454 2006
- Restoration of Class II cavities in primary molar teeth with conventional and resin modified glass ionomer cements: a systematic review of the literature. Chadwick B.L, Evans D.J.P. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry Volume 8, Issue 1, 2007 Pages 14-21
- The Hall Technique; a randomized controlled clinical trial of a novel method of managing carious primary molars in general dental practice: acceptability of the technique and outcomes at 23 months. Nicola P. Innes, Dafydd J. P. Evans and David R. Stirrups. (Read online)
- Innes NPT and Evans DJP (2009) The Hall Technique, A child-centred approach to managing the carious primary molar - A Users Manual
- Innes NPT, Evans DJP. Caries prevention for older people in residential care; the effectiveness and relative cost benefit of high concentration fluoride toothpaste compared with fluoride varnish. Evidence Based Dentistry 2009 10, 83-87. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400672
- Innes NPT, Evans DJP, Hall N. The Hall Technique for managing carious primary molars. Dental Update (2009) 36:472-478
- Innes NPT, Evans DJP, Stirrups DR. The Hall Technique: a randomized controlled clinical trial of a novel method of managing carious primary molars in general dental practice; acceptability of the technique and outcomes at 23 months BMC Oral Health 2007 7:18.
- Innes NPT, Borrie F, Evans DJP, Ricketts, DNJ. Fissure sealants for the management of dental decay in molar teeth (Protocol for a Cochrane Review)
Invited International Lectures
- New Zealand School and Community Oral Health Services Society Annual Meeting 2011. Keynote speaker; "A Child Centred Approach to Children's Oral Health Care"
- 2011 National Clinical Directors meeting in Waitangi. "Improving Delivery of Child Dental Care"
- Australian Dental Association Victoria Board. Melbourne, Australia (30/31st July 2010). Key note speaker "A Practical Approach to Managing the Carious Primary Dentition – Child Friendly Dentistry in the UK"
- Tasmania Oral Health Services (Launceston and Hobart 26th/28th July 2010). "Practical Solutions to Clinical Problems - Planning Treatment for the Child Patient" and "The Hall Technique for managing Carious Primary Molars - What, How, When and Why?"
- Dutch Association of Paediatric Dentistry Symposium. Amsterdam, Netherlands 2009. "Alternative strategies for oral health care in (special-need) children"
- Irish Health Service Executive Dental Staff 2008. Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland. "Managing the Carious Primary Dentition"