I am a Paediatric Dentist, teacher and researcher. My work is focussed on improving the way we manage the disease dental caries: how can we be less invasive, how can we make it easier for people (especially children) to cope with, how can we make dental care more effective, affordable and accessible. I mainly work on clinical trials and systematic reviews. My nursing and dentistry background have given me a very patient-focussed outlook but I try to keep in mind the science behind what we do, and how oral health care could be improved for patients. orcid.org/0000-0002-9984-0012
The specific areas I work in are:
- Clinical trials testing different clinical management techniques for dental caries (my main area of interest here is in “sealing-in” caries, selective caries removal and the Hall Technique – what happens in terms of clinical and other outcomes?);
- Patient (especially children’s) perceptions of the dental care we provide and how we can improve that - Child Friendly Dentistry;
- Uptake of evidence by practitioners (how can we translate the evidence we produce to knowledge and then to action in dental practices);
- Inequalities in dental care (such as dentistry for children with low access in countries such as Brazil and gypsy/ travellers);
- Improving the standard of research produced within cariology; and
- Systematic reviews related to cariology, paediatric dentistry and inequalities.
I have had an unusual career path, qualifying as a Registered General Nurse, working in neurosurgery in Edinburgh and gaining a BSc in Life Sciences from Napier University.
I came to the University of Dundee, graduating in Dentistry in 1998, having also obtained an intercalated degree in Molecular and Cellular Pathology. I then spent a very enjoyable seven years as a general dental practitioner in Carnoustie and Forfar, before returning to join Child Dental Health at Dundee as a Lecturer. My PhD investigated the Hall Technique, a method for managing carious primary molars that is becoming widely used across the globe.
As well as being Associate Editor of the Journal of Dental Research , I am Co-Associate Editor of the Evidence Based Dentistry Journal, I sit on the Scottish Dental Practice Based Research Network steering committee, a number of SDCEP and SIGN guidance development groups. I edit Wikipedia pages on Dentistry.
I am currently Chief Investigator on the FiCTION Dental Trial (Fillings in Children’s Teeth; Indicated or Not), and am involved in Germany, Brazil, Lithuania, Australia and New Zealand based dental trials.
Competitive Research Grants Awarded
2014 - £362,330 - Department of Health, Policy Research Programme. "Enhancing Gypsy/Traveller's trust; using maternity and early years' health services and dental health services as exemplars of mainstream service provision".
- 2012 - £27,254 - Higher Education Academy: Motivational interviewing Techniques for Dental Students: Development and assessment of the effectiveness of an educational intervention.
- 2011 - $147,826NZ - New Zealand Ministry of Research Science and Technology. "Feasibility study for an investigation into use of the Hall Technique for improving treatment outcomes with Dental Therapists in New Zealand".
- 2011 - £10,000 - Queen’s Nursing Institute for Scotland. "Health Visitors’ role in assessing oral health in children: investigating dental neglect thresholds".
- 2010 - £60,160 - British Orthodontic Society Fund. Co-investigator. "SIXES: Should I eXtract Every SiX? A randomised control trial" To determine whether compensating extraction of maxillary first permanent molars following loss of mandibular first permanent molars in children is of benefit. Further information can be found at www.sixes.org.uk
- 2010 - £5,000 - British Society for Oral and Dental Research Travel Award for Section of Preventive and Children’s Dentistry.
- 2008 - £2,869,716 - Chief Investigator and joint Principal Investigator HTA Priority Area: 07/44 Treatment of caries in primary teeth FiCTION - Filling Children's Teeth: Indicated Or Not?
- 2005 - £15,000 - Fluoride Bead Feasibility Study; EastRen co-applicant.
- 2000 - £145,000 - Principal Investigator, CSO Primary Care Research Training Fellowship £105,000; 3M/ESPE £40,000.
- 1996 - £1,500 - Unilever Oral Care Division Travel Award.
Other Research Grants Awarded
- 2011 - £600 - Tattersall Scholarship: BMSc student support funds for project entitled, Microleakage quantification and relationship to marginal adaptation of Hall Technique fitted preformed metal crowns in extracted primary molar teeth
- 2009 - £5000 - Tattersall Scholarship: Capacity building funding.
- 2009 - £1,470 - Tattersall Scholarship: Pump priming funding for Clinical Fellowship application, "Investigation of the feasibility of collection, storage and transportation of carious biofilm samples, followed by extraction of microbial DNA of sufficient quality to allow high throughput metagenomic analysis using Human Oral Microbe Identification microarray".
- Acting Academic Head of Department and curriculum developer: Undergraduate Child Dental Health programme, (lecture, lead tutorials, involved in setting and marking written examinations for 3rd, 4th and 5th BDS and lead OSCE for 4th BDS)
- Clinical supervision and learning support for undergraduates
- Lead curriculum developer: Undergraduate Evidence Based Dentistry and Clinical Informatics course
- Contributor to Undergraduate final year Health Care Law and Professionalism
- Responsible for development and maintenance of the Child Dental Health Section of “MyDundee” electronic educational resource for Undergraduate Students
- Development and delivery of courses on Child Dental Health, Children’s Dentistry, Evidence Based Dentistry, Management of the Anxious Child and Cariology to general, specialist and training postgraduate dentists around the UK and abroad (Ireland, Holland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand)
- E-Den Module Author for module (The Hall Technique) of the dental e-Learning for Healthcare package which is being developed by the Department of Health in partnership with the Professional Bodies and the NHS.
Innes, N & Evans, D 2012, 'Challenges in early childhood caries management - Fluoride programmes for children' Oralprophylaxe und Kinderzahnheilkunde, vol 34, no. 4, pp. 158-160. DOI: 10.3238/OPKZH.2012.0158-0160
Ricketts, D, Kidd, E, Innes, NPT & Clarkson, JE 2009, 'Complete or ultraconservative removal of decayed tissue in unfilled teeth' Australian Dental Journal, vol 54, no. 3, pp. 274-276. DOI: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2009.01133.x
Schwendicke, F, Lamont, T & Innes, N 2015, 'Outcomes in Trials for Management of Caries Lesions (OuTMaC): protocol' Trials, vol 16, 397. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-015-0927-3
McFadden, A, Atkin, K, Bell, K, Innes, N, Jackson, C, Jones, H, MacGillivray, S & Siebelt, L 2016, 'Community engagement to enhance trust between Gypsy/Travellers, and maternity, early years’ and child dental health services: protocol for a multi-method exploratory study' International Journal for Equity in Health, vol 15, 183, pp. 1-9. DOI: 10.1186/s12939-016-0475-9
McFadden, A, Siebelt, L, Gavine, A, Atkin, K, Bell, K, Innes, N, Jones, H, Jackson, C, Haggi, HM & MacGillivray, S 2018, 'Gypsy, Roma and Traveller access to and engagement with health services: a systematic review' European Journal of Public Health, vol 28, no. 1, pp. 74-81. DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/ckx226
Innes, NPT, Clarkson, JE, Speed, C, Douglas, GVA & Maguire, A 2013, 'The FiCTION dental trial protocol -- filling children's teeth: Indicated or not?' BMC Oral Health, vol 13, 25. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6831-13-25
Chadwick, B, Borland, R, Evans, D, Innes, N, Mackie, J, Treasure, E, Topping, G & Steele, J 2008, 'Change the bathwater' British Dental Journal, vol 205, no. 8, pp. 413. DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2008.895
Sabbagh, HJ, Innes, NP, Sallout, BI, Alamoudi, NM, Hamdan, MA, Alhamlan, N, Al-Khozami, AI, Abdulhameed, FD, Al-Aama, JY & Mossey, PA 2015, 'Birth prevalence of non-syndromic orofacial clefts in Saudi Arabia and the effects of parental consanguinity' Saudi Medical Journal, vol 36, no. 9, pp. 1076-1083. DOI: 10.15537/smj.2015.9.11823
Eaton, KA, Innes, N, Balaji, SM, Pugh, C, Honkala, E & Lynch, CD 2017, 'Don't be rejected, how can we help authors, reviewers and editors?: Report of a Symposium for Editors Publishers and Others with an Interest in Scientific Publication, Held in Boston on Wednesday, 11 March 2015, during the Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dental Research' Journal of Dentistry, vol 57, pp. 77-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.jdent.2016.11.013
Innes, NPT 2018, 'Cariology Clinical Trials: What Are We-and What Should We Be-Looking At?' Advances in Dental Research: an E-Supplement to Journal of Dental Research, vol 29, no. 1, pp. 4-8. DOI: 10.1177/0022034517735296
Innes, NPT & Evans, DJP 2013, 'Modern approaches to caries management of the primary dentition' British Dental Journal, vol 214, no. 11, pp. 559-566. DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2013.529
Innes, N & Evans, D 2009, 'Caries prevention for older people in residential care homes' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 10, no. 3, pp. 83-87. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6400672
Schwendicke, F, Stolpe, M & Innes, N 2015, 'Conventional treatment, Hall Technique or immediate pulpotomy for carious primary molars: a cost-effectiveness analysis' International Endodontic Journal. DOI: 10.1111/iej.12537
Chen, Z, Lu, ZM, Schwendicke, F, Innes, NPT & Frencken, JE 2016, 'Managing carious lesions: consensus recommendations on carious tissue removal' Chinese Journal of Stomatology, vol 51, no. 12, pp. 712-716. DOI: 10.3760/cma.j.issn.1002-0098.2016.12.003
Innes, NPT & Robertson, MD 2018, 'Recent advances in the management of childhood dental caries' Archives of Disease in Childhood. DOI: 10.1136/archdischild-2017-313196
Evans, D, Innes, N & Rodrigues, S, Dentistry without drills, 2014, Digital or Visual Products, Primary Science Teaching Trust.
Bradbury-Jones, C, Innes, N, Evans, D, Ballantyne, F & Taylor, J 2013, 'Dental neglect as a marker of broader neglect: a qualitative investigation of public health Nurses' assessments of oral health in preschool children' BMC Public Health, vol 13, 370. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-370
Innes, NPT, Marshman, Z & Vendan, RE 2010, 'A group of general dental practitioners' views of preformed metal crowns after participation in the Hall technique clinical trial:: a mixed-method evaluation' Primary Dental Care, vol 17, no. 1, pp. 33-7. DOI: 10.1308/135576110790307672
Innes, N, Stewart, M, Souster, G & Evans, D 2015, 'The Hall Technique: retrospective case-note follow-up of 5-year RCT' British Dental Journal, vol 219, no. 8, pp. 395-400. DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2015.816
Hesse, D, de Araujo, MP, Olegário, IC, Innes, N, Raggio, DP & Bonifácio, CC 2016, 'Atraumatic Restorative Treatment compared to the Hall Technique for occluso-proximal cavities in primary molars: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial' Trials, vol 17, 169, pp. 1-13. DOI: 10.1186/s13063-016-1270-z
Wright, C, Mistry, V, Smyth, J, Saik, WN, Innes, N & Lamont, T 2018, 'The use of chlorhexidine in the prevention of alveolar osteitis after third molar extractions' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 19, no. 1, pp. 18-19. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6401289
Santamaria, RM, Innes, NPT, Machiulskiene, V, Evans, DJP & Splieth, CH 2014, 'Caries management strategies for primary molars: 1-yr randomized control trial results' Journal of Dental Research, vol 93, no. 11, pp. 1062-1069. DOI: 10.1177/0022034514550717
Alamoudi, NM, Sabbagh, HJ, Innes, NPT, El Derwi, D, Hanno, AZ, Al-Aama, JY, Habiballah, AH & Mossey, PA 2013, 'Prevalence and characteristics of non-syndromic orofacial clefts in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and the influence of consanguinity' Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, vol 38, no. 3, pp. 241-246.
Splieth, CH, Innes, N & Soehnel, A 2011, 'Evidence-based cariology in clinical and public health practice as part of the European Core Curriculum in Cariology' European Journal of Dental Education, vol 15, pp. 45-51. DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0579.2011.00714.x
Lamont, T, Schwendicke, F & Innes, N 2015, 'Why we need a core outcome set for trials of interventions for prevention and management of caries' Evidence-Based Dentistry, vol 16, no. 3, pp. 66-68. DOI: 10.1038/sj.ebd.6401109
Invited International Lectures
- University of Michigan September 2015. The FiCTION Trial; Making it FACT!
- University of Iowa, September 2015. 1. Cochrane Reviews for Oral Health & 2. The Hall Technique as part of Minimal Intervention Dentistry.
- International Association for Paediatric Dentistry, Glasgow. June 2015. How Should We Prevent and Manage Dental Caries; What Are Children in Clinical Trials Telling Us?
- Federal University of Pernambuco, Recife, Brazil. June 2015. Clinical management of caries in children.
- Core Outcomes in Cariology Clinical Trials; Consensus Methodology. International Cariology Consensus Conference Brussels 24th /25th February 2015
- Danish Dental Association, Nyborg, Denmark. “The Hall Technique for Managing Carious Primary Molars Sept 2014
- 92nd General Session & Exhibition of the IADR. IADR Africa/Middle East Regional Meeting Cape Town, South Africa Invited Symposium Speaker at Clinical Trials and Methodology Development for Patient-Oriented Outcomes Symposium Patient-Oriented Outcomes in Cariology and Restorative Dentistry Clinical Trials; Should We Be Changing Our Focus?
- Geneva University, Restorative and Paediatric Dentists‘ Group “New Approaches to Managing the Carious Primary Dentition” 28th May 2014.
- Trinity College, Dublin, Specialists Group, “The Hall Technique” and “Using Evidence Day to Day”. 8th May 2014
- Universidad de La Frontera, Temuco, Chile “Evidence and the Approaches for Managing the Carious Primary Dentition”; “Interpreting the Evidence” and “The Hall Technique” 12th March2014
- Dutch Dental Society, Rotterdam “The Tooth in all its facets” November 2013
- German Society for Paediatric Dentistry (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kinderzahnheilkunde) 14th/15th March 2013. “The Hall Technique for Managing Carious Primary Molars”
- Dutch Society of Paediatric Dentistry Symposium. Netherlands, Nov 9th/10th 2012. “Management Strategies for the Carious Primary Dentition”
- European Association for Paediatric Dentistry 2012. Invited Speaker (GABA Symposium). "Fluoride Programmes for Children"
- New Zealand School and Community Oral Health Services Society Annual Meeting 2011. Keynote speaker; "A Child Centred Approach to Children’s Oral Health Care"
- 2011 National Clinical Directors meeting in Waitangi, New Zealand. "Improving Delivery of Child Dental Care"
- Australian Dental Association Victoria Board. Melbourne, Australia (30/31st July 2010). Key note speaker "A Practical Approach to Managing the Carious Primary Dentition - Child Friendly Dentistry in the UK"
- Tasmania Oral Health Services (Launceston and Hobart 26th/28th July 2010). "Practical Solutions to Clinical Problems - Planning Treatment for the Child Patient" and "The Hall Technique for managing Carious Primary Molars - What, How, When and Why?"
- Dutch Association of Paediatric Dentistry Symposium. Amsterdam, Netherlands 2009. "Alternative strategies for oral health care in (special-need) children"
- Irish Health Service Executive Dental Staff 2008. Dublin City University, Dublin, Ireland. "Managing the Carious Primary Dentition"
- Minnesota University Dental School. May 2010. "Paediatric Dentistry in the UK; Where does the Hall Technique fit in?"
Invited Lectures at National Meetings
- Faculty of General Dental Practitioners 2014 Royal College of Surgeons, London Friday 5th Nov. “Essentials of Research Methodology; Putting Together the Protocol”.
- British Society of Dental Hygiene and Therapy 2014 Edinburgh Sat 4th Oct. “Managing Caries in Children; Evidence Based Approaches”.
- British Dental Conference and Exhibition 2013 ExCel, London 25th to 27th April. “Dental Caries: New Approaches to Managing the Auld Enemy”.
- National Conference for the British Society of Paediatric Dentistry 2012. Keynote Speaker. “Current Trends in Primary Caries Management”.
- British Association of Dental Therapists National Conference Cumberland Hotel, London, 2010. The Hall Technique; How Can It Help My Patients?
- British Dental Conference and Exhibition. SECC, Glasgow, UK, 2009. Plenary Session Speaker. Pathways of Care for Children with Dental Caries; Improving acceptability and outcomes through changing priorities, and understanding the disease.
- British Society of Paediatric Dentistry Conference, Methods Behind the Madness. London, UK, September 2007. Key note speaker: Managing Dental Caries: Evidence for a New Approach - The Hall Technique.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow, Spring Meeting. Glasgow, UK, March 2007. Clinical Management of Dental Caries: Legends, Conventions, and Evidence for a New Approach.
- Primary Care Annual Symposium 2006. Hallam University, Sheffield, UK. Evidence Based Strategies for Managing the Primary Dentition.