Thomas graduated from the University of Glasgow in 2008. He completed Dental Foundation Training in Glasgow and Dumfries prior to moving to Dundee to work as a Senior House Officer in Dundee Dental Hospital. From February 2009 Thomas has been a member of the Scottish Dental Practice Based Research Network (SDPBRN) Steering Committee promoting the implementation of evidence-based practice in Scotland.
In 2011 he was appointed as Clinical Research Fellow/ Honorary Specialty Training Registrar in Restorative Dentistry in the Dental Health Services Research Unit at the University of Dundee Dental School. Thomas also serves as a clinical editor and systematic reviewer at the Cochrane Oral Health Group.
Thomas is the Clinical Research Fellow of the ‘Improving the Quality of Dentistry’ (IQuaD) Clinical trial. This multicentre randomised controlled trial is comparing oral hygiene advice and periodontal instrumentation for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care.
His research interests also include the promotion and implementation of evidence based practice in primary dental care. Thomas has been involved in both primary and secondary research through his respective work with the Scottish Dental Practice Based Research Network and the Cochrane Collaboration Oral Health Group. Currently undertaking his PhD investigating the best way to prevent and treat periodontal disease, he is leading an effort to develop a core outcome set to be used in future periodontal research.
- "How do we create, and improve, the evidence base?" N. P. T. Innes, F. Schwendicke & Mr TJ Lamont. British Dental Journal 220, 651 - 655 (2016)
- “A contemporary update on ‘soft’ linings.” – Prof F McCord, Dr A Donaldson and Mr TJ Lamont. Dent Update 2011; 38:102-104.
- “Operative caries management in adults and Children” - Prof DNJ Ricketts, Mr TJ Lamont, Dr NPT Innes, Prof E Kidd and Prof JE Clarkson. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD003808. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003808.pub3.
- “Accessing the Best Available Evidence” Mr TJ Lamont, Mr A Keightley and Prof J Clarkson. Dent Update 2013; 40: 482-486.
- Riley P, Lamont T. Triclosan/copolymer containing toothpastes for oral health. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD010514. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD010514.pub2.
- “IQuaD dental trial; improving the quality of dentistry: a multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing oral hygiene advice and periodontal instrumentation for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care” – Clarkson et al. BMC Oral Health 2013, 13:58 doi:10.1186/1472-6831-13-58
- “Practical considerations for conducting dental clinical trials in primary care” J. M. Martin-Kerry, T. J. Lamont, A. Keightley, H. Calache, Martin, R. Floate, K. Princi and A. M. de Silva. British Dental Journal 2015; 218: 629-634, DOI: 10.1038/sj.bdj.2015.397
- “Outcomes in Trials for Management of Caries Lesions (OuTMaC): protocol” Falk Schwendicke, Thomas Lamont and Nicola Innes. Trials 2015, 16:397 doi:10.1186/s13063-015-0927-3
- “Why we need a core outcome set for trials of interventions for prevention and management of caries” Thomas Lamont, Falk Schwendicke and Nicola Innes. Evidence-Based Dentistry (2015) 16, 66–68. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6401109
- “Preformed crowns for decayed primary molar teeth.” Innes NPT, Ricketts D, Chong LY, Keightley AJ, Lamont T, Santamaria RM. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD005512. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005512.pub3
- Riley P, Lamont T. Triclosan/copolymer containing toothpastes for oral health Cochrane review – Podcast
- “Lower concentration of chlorhexidine and cetyl-pyridinium chloride mouthwash demonstrates some efficacy” Thomas Lamont Evid Based Dent 13: 52-53; doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400862.
- “Small trial finds beneficial effect for MI Paste in preventing white spot lesions during orthodontic treatment.” Rollings, Sam; Greene, Louise; Borrie, Felicity; Lamont, Thomas. In: Evidence-Based Dentistry, Vol. 13, No. 4, 12.2012, p. 117-118.
- No differences in gingival health associated outcomes following single-visit scale and polish. Thomas Lamont. Evidence-based dentistry 01/2012; 13(4):114.
- “Four implant bar-connected implants sufficient to support a maxillary overdenture” Gareth Calvert, Thomas Lamont. Evidence-based dentistry 01/2013; 14(2):49-50.
- “Clinical Outcomes of Single-Visit Oral Prophylaxis: A Practice-based Randomised Controlled Trial” Thomas Lamont – In Evidence-Based Dentistry (2012) 13, 114. doi:10.1038/sj.ebd.6400897.
- “A practice-based randomised controlled trial of the efficacy of three interventions to reduce dentinal hypersensitivity. J Dent 2013; 41: 668-674.” NPT Innes and TJ Lamont; Evidence-Based Dentistry