Mike graduated from Glasgow University in 1990 and spent the next few years as a SHO in maxillofacial departments before completing FDS from the English College in 1994. Then she took a job as a staff grade in maxillofacial surgery in Dunfermline for a few years before moving to Dundee in 1997 to work as a lecturer in Oral Surgery. She completed her PhD in 2002 and finished ACCOMS training in 2006 attaining FDSOSRCS. In 2007 she became a Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in Oral Surgery.
Mike’s research interests include prognostic markers in oral cancer and potentially malignant lesions. Initially this was focused on regulation of the vasculature but also included lymphatic regulation and more recently the role of Human Papilloma Virus. Another area of interest is educational research particularly the development of teaching and assessment tools in oral surgery.
Since becoming a Senior Lecturer Mike’s main didactic teaching is in outreach with final year students teaching surgical skills under intravenous sedation. She delivers lectures to the third and fourth year students and organises the surgical dentistry course for the fourth year.
Zakrzewska J.M., Leeson R.M., Macluskey M and Vickers M. The development of patient information leaflets. Care of the mouth after radiotherapy. Gerodontology, 1997; 14(1):48-53.
Macluskey M, Ogden G.R., Green M, Chisholm D.M., Schor S.L. and Schor A.M. The association between epithelial proliferation and disease progression in the oral mucosa. Oral Oncology, 1999; 35:409-414.
Ogden G.R. and Macluskey M. An overview of the prevention of oral cancer and diagnostic markers of malignant change: Part 1 – Prevention. Dental Update, 2000; 27:95-99.
Macluskey M. and Ogden G.R. An overview of the prevention of oral cancer and diagnostic markers of malignant change: Part 2 – Markers of value in tumour diagnosis. Dental Update, 2000; 27:148-152.
Macluskey M, Schor A.M., Ogden G.R., Green M, Chisholm D.M. and Schor S.L. Apoptosis in oral tissues. Its association with proliferation, angiogenesis and tumour development. Journal of Pathology 2000;191: 368-375.
Macluskey M, Baillie R, Chandrachud L, Pendleton N, Schor A.M. High levels of apoptosis are associated with improved survival in non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Research 2000;20: 2123-2128.
Carlile J, Harada K, Baillie R, Macluskey M, Chisholm D.M., Ogden G.R., Schor S.L., Schor A.M. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) expression in oral tissues: possible relevance to angiogenesis, tumour progression and field cancerisation. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2001; 30:449-457.
Baillie R, Harada K, Carlile J, Macluskey M, Schor S.L., Schor A.M. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in normal and tumour tissues assessed with different antibodies. The Histochemical Journal 2001; 33:287-294.
Macluskey M, Hanson C, Kershaw A, Wight A. J, Ogden G.R. The use of Structured Clinical Operative Tests (SCOT’s) in the oral surgery undergraduate curriculum. British Dental Journal . 2004 Feb 28;196(4):225-8.
El-Gazzar R.F, Macluskey M, Ogden G.R. Evidence for a field change effect based on angiogenesis in the oral mucosa? A brief report. Oral Oncology 2005 Jan;41(1):25-30.
Macluskey M, El-Gazzar R.F, Ogden G.R. Anatomical Site Variation in Oral Mucosal Vascularity. Oral Biosciences & Medicine 2004 Oral BioSci Med 2004, No. 3, 219-225.
El-Gazzar R.F, Macluskey M, Ogden G.R. The effect of the antibody utilisation and method of quantification on oral mucosal vascularity. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;34(8):895-9.
M Macluskey, M Slevin, M Curran, R Nesbitt. Indications for and anticipated difficulty of third molar surgery: a comparison between a Dental Hospital and a Specialist High Street Practice. British Dental Journal 2005;199:671-675
Oliver R, Clarkson J, Conway D,Glenny A-M, Coulthard P, Macluskey M, Hooper L, Sloan P, Worthinton HV. Interventions for the treatment of oral cancer (A protocol for a Cochrane Review).The Cochrane Library 2005: 4
Oliver RJ, Clarkson JE, Conway D, Glenny AM, Macluskey M, Pavitt S et al. Interventions for the treatment of oral cancer: surgical treatment. Chister, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Macluskey M, Baillie R, Morrow H, Schor A.M. The expression of Thrombospondin-1 mRNA in oral disease progression. B Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006 Apr;44(2):116-23.
El-Gazzar R, Macluskey M, Williams H, Ogden GR. Vascularity and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Expression in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Resection Margins and Nodal Metastasis. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2006;44:193-7.
Macluskey M, El-Gazzar R, Ogden GR. Comment on Letter to the editor by P.A. Kyzas Re: "Vascularity and expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in oral squamous cell carcinoma, resection margins, and nodal metastases."Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006;44:193-7.
Oliver RJ, Clarkson JE, Conway D, Glenny AM, Macluskey M, Pavitt S et al. Interventions for the treatment of oral cancer: chemotherapy. In: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 2, 2007. Chister, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Macluskey M, Durham J, Cowan G, Cowpe J, Evans A, Freeman C, Jephcott A, Jones J, Millsopp L, Oliver R, Renton T, Ryan D, Sivarajasingham V, Still D, Taylor K, Thomson P. UK national curriculum for undergraduate oral surgery subgroup for teaching of the Association of British Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.Eur J Dent Educ. 2008 Feb;12(1):48-58.
Macluskey M and Durham J. Oral Surgery Undergraduate Teaching and Experience in The United Kingdom: A National Survey. Eur J Dent Educ. 2009 Feb;13(1):52-7.
G. Gardner, P. Fowlie, M. Macluskey. Juvenile recurrent parotitis: a case report. Oral Surgery May 2009 2(2):91-94 Published Online: Nov 12 2009 9:27AM. DOI: 10.1111/j.1752-248X.2009.01042.x
J. Durham, C. Balmer, A. Bell, G. Cowan, J. Cowpe, St J. Crean, L. Dawson, A. Evans, C. Freeman, J. Jones, M. Macluskey, A. McDonagh, S. McHanwell, L. Millsopp, L. Myrddin, R. Oliver, T. Renton, V. Sivarajasingam, D. Still, K. Taylor and P. Thomson. A generic consensus assessment of undergraduate competence in forceps exodontia in the United Kingdom. European Journal of Dental Education Eur J Dent Educ. 2010 Nov;14(4):210-4.
Glenny AM, Furness S, Worthington HV, Conway DI, Oliver R, Clarkson JE, Macluskey M, Pavitt S, Chan KKW, Brocklehurst P, The CSROC Expert Panel (2010) Interventions for the treatment of oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancer: radiotherapy (Review) Cochrane Library
Hanson CJ, Macluskey M, Skinner M. Reviewing the efficacy of changing prophylactic measures for the prevention of bisphosphonate related osteonecrosis of the jaws (BRONJ) in the management of oral surgery patients. Oral Surgery 3 (2010) 65–71.
Hanson C, Mossey P, Macluskey M. The assessment of suturing skills of dental undergraduates. Eur J Dent Educ. 2010 May;14(2):113-7.
Furness S, Glenny AM, Worthington HV, Pavitt S, Oliver R, Clarkson JE, Macluskey M, Chan KK, Conway DI; The CSROC Expert Panel.
Interventions for the treatment of oral cavity and oropharyngeal cancer: chemotherapy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Sep 8;9:CD006386
M Macluskey and C Hanson. The retention of suturing skills in dental indergraduates. Eur J Dent Educ 2011 ; 15: 42-46.
M. Macluskey, J. Durham, C. Balmer, A. Bell, J. Cowpe, L Dawson, C. Freeman, C. Hanson, A. McDonagh, J. Jones, L. Millsopp, R. Oliver. Dental Student Suturing Skills: A Multicentre trial of a Checklist Based Assessment. Eur J Dent Educ 2011; 15: 1-6.
M. Macluskey, J. Durham, A. Bell, J. Cowpe, St J. Crean, A. Dargue, L. Dawson, C. Freeman, J. Jones, A. McDouagh, S. McHanwell, J. Marley, L. Myrddin , L. Millsopp, R. Oliver, T. Renton, K. Taylor, P. Thomson. A national survey of UK students’ opinion of undergraduate oral surgery teaching. Eur J Dent Educ. 16 (2012) e205–e212
Leeds, April 1999
- "Apoptosis, proliferation and angiogenesis in oral tissues. Possible role in disease progression."
Pathology Society of Great Britain
Dundee, July 1999
- "Apoptosis, proliferation and angiogenesis – the relative contribution to disease progression in the oral tissues."
Scottish Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (SOMS)
Livingstone, October 1999
- "The relative contribution of epithelial apoptosis, proliferation and angiogenesis to disease progression within the oral mucosa."
Association of British Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ABAOMS)
Belfast, November 1999
- "The use of Structured Clinical Operative Tests (S.C.O.T.’s) in the undergraduate oral surgery curriculum."
Lancaster, April 2000
- "VEGF expression in normal, dysplastic and cancerous oral tissues."
London, November 2001
- "The isolation of RNA from archival paraffin embedded tissue: A comparison of three techniques."
Paneuropean Festival of Oral Science (PEF)
Cardiff, September 2002
- "The expression of TSP-1 mRNA in oral disease progression." (Senior Colgate Prize Contestant)
Dundee, November 2002
- "S.C.O.T.s revisited"
- "Undergraduate experience in oral surgery – the U.S.A. experience."
Glasgow, June 2003
- "Expression of TSP-1 protein as a marker of field cancerisation."
Perth, November 2003
- "Thrombospondin-1 mRNA expression in oral disease progression"
Glasgow, November 2004
- "Vascularity and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Expression in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Resection Margins and Nodal Metastasis"(Prize Winner)
- Influence of HBO Therapy on Angiogenic Markers in Wound Healing. M.S. Garces, D. Lappin, M. Macluskey, S.A. Ogston, And G.R. Ogden
Manchester November 2004
- "TMJ Surgery: The Aberdeen Experience"
Dundee, April 2005
- "Vascularity and Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Expression in Oral Carcinoma"
Gateshead, June 2005
- "Surgical Dentistry- The Role of the Specialist Practice."
Dublin, November 2005
- "Objective assessment of micro-skills in oral surgery."
British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists (BAHNO)
London, April 2006
- Field Change and Oral Cancer – Angiogenesis, Cell Proliferation And Histopathological Mapping Studies, M Macluskey, PJ Thomson
- Anatomical Site Variation and Oral Carcinogenesis, PJ Thomson, M Macluskey
International Association of Dental Research (IADR)
Brisbane, June 2006
- Vascular and Proliferative Studies In Oral Oncology - A Systematic Review PJ Thomson, M Macluskey
Dublin, September 2006
- Lymphatic Microvessel Density: An Indicator of Metastasis in Oral Cancer?
- Checklist Based Assessment in the Oral Surgery Undergraduate Curriculum, Hanson C, Malek L, Macluskey M
Dundee, October 2006
- The role of Lymphatic Microvessel Density in nodal metastasis from oral squamous cell carcinoma
Sheffield, November 2006
- Report of the Subgroup of Teaching of ABAOMS
- Is Lymphatic Microvessel Density an indicator of nodal metastasis in oral squamous cell carcinoma?
Cardiff, June 2008
- Does Blood And Lymphatic Vessel Density In Head And Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Have Prognostic Significnace? Macluskey M, Alkahadar H, Stenhouse G, Mcloughlin P
- Does Serum Levels of Regulators of Angiogenesis Predict Poorer Survival in Patients with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma? Macluskey M, Alkahadar H, Jones S, Mcloughlin P
Association of Dental Education in Europe (ADEE)
Zagreb, Croatia September 2008
- Assessing Changes in Suture Competence after Introducing a Video Teaching Aid. Hanson C and Macluskey M
Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry (ABSTD)
London, September 2008
- The United Kingdom Undergraduate Oral Surgery Curriculum: How can we improve the student experience? Macluskey M and Durham J
London, September 200
- Vascularity and Disease Progression in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Macluskey M, Jones S, Stenhouse G, Mcloughlin P, Ellis I, Alkahadar H
- Does the ability of an undergraduate to place a suture deteriorate in the short term? Macluskey M and Hanson C
- A Study of the Regulators of the Lymphovascular System and Their Receptors in Disease Progression in Head and Neck Squamous Carcinoma. Macluskey M, Jones S, Stenhouse G, McLoughlin P, Ellis I, Alkhadar H
New Perspective in Head and Neck Premalignant Lesions
Liverpool February 2009
- Vascularity as a biomarker in oral dysplasia
Second World Conference of the International Academy of Oral Oncology (ICOO)
Toronto July 2009
- "The Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A (VEGFA) and C (VEGFC) and Their Receptors in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma." M Macluskey, S Jones, G Stenhouse, P McLoughlin, I Ellis, H Alkhadar
British Society for Dental Research (BSDR) - Annual Conference 2009
Glasgow 1- 4th September
- "Human papillomaviruses: prevalence and association with survival in oral cancer" Sailan, A.T., Purdie, K., de Koning, M. , Wim Quint, Stenhouse G, McLoughlin P, Mossey, P.A. Gibson, J. and Macluskey, M.
International Association of Dental Research (IADR)
Barcelona July 2010
- Is p16(INKa) a surrogate marker for HPVs in oral cancer? Sailan, A.T., Purdie, K., de Koning, M. , Wim Quint, Stenhouse G, McLoughlin P, Mossey, P.A. Gibson, J. and Macluskey, M.
Cardiff, November 2010
- Cadaveric practice of clinical skills - An assessment of student attitudes to cadaveric suturing compared with a silicon mannequin model. Hanson CJ, Macluskey M, Drummond JR
- Is p16INK4a a surrogate marker for human papilloma virus in head and neck cancer? Sailan AT, Florence MM, Gibson J, McLoughlin P, Macluskey M
International Association of Dental Research (IADR)
San Diego USA, March 2011
- HPV and p16 in head and neck cancer. A.T. Sailan, M.M. Florence, P.A. Mossey, J. Gibson, M. Macluskey.
Nice, France, May 2011
- An assessment of the predictive value of epithelial, angiogenic and lymphangiogenic markers on outcome of oral dysplasia. Goodson ML, Hamadah O, Robinson CM , Macluskey M, et al.
Third World Conference of the International Academy of Oral Oncology (ICOO)
- The epithelial/connective tissue interface - 'The Final Frontier' in oral precancer. ML Goodson, O. Hamadah, M Macluskey, PJ Thomson
- 3rd World Congress of the International Academy of Oral Oncology, Singapore, July, 2011. Oral Oncology (2011) 47S1:S113 (abstract) p16: A useful marker of malignant transformation and recurrence in oral dysplasia? PJ Thomson, ML Goodson, O Hamadah, M. Macluskey
- 3rd World Congress of the International Academy of Oral Oncology, Singapore, July 2011. Oral Oncology (2011) 47S1:S113 (abstract).
Dundee, November 2011
- The use of video for formative assessment of suturing skills. Macluskey M, Hanson C.J
- Extrusion of Calcium Hydroxide: A case report. Hanson C.J, Macluskey M
- Cadaveric extractions as a method of teaching the principles of exodontia. Hanson C.J, Macluskey M