- 1993 - PhD, "The Role of Murein Hydrolases in the Cell Division of E.coli." Molecular Biology Dept., University of Edinburgh.
- 1993-97 - Research Associate, Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford Research project: Prof. J Errington's research group. "Division site control in Bacillus subtilis."
- 1997-00 - Max Plank Research Fellow, MPI f. Entwicklungsbiologie, Tuebingen, Germany. Section of Prof. J. Holtje. "Subcellular localisation of cell division proteins in B.subtilis."
- 2000-06 - University of Dundee, Pathology & Neuroscience, Medical School, Lecturer.
- 2006- - University of Dundee, Clinical Dental Sciences, Dental School, Senior Lecturer.
Research; Prokaryotic cell cycle and development of antimicrobial strategies. My background as molecular biologist has been involved in investigating cell wall synthesis during the growth of both Gram-negative and Gram-positive rod-shaped microorganisms. Key discoveries include the identification of the target for Bulgecin (1992), the identification & investigation of the topological specifier of cell division in B.subtilis (DivIVA) (1997-2006), and the use of a synthetic lethal screen to uncover the role of GpsB in relocation of the cell wall synthesis machinery during the cell cycle (2006-2010).
Current research topics in the laboratory include:
- Modelling the cell cycle & infectivity of the Periodontal pathogen Fusobacterium nucleatum.
- Investigating the role of a SNF-2 related DNA helicase proteins in the regulation of chromosome partition in a model microorganism (Collaborator; Prof. Tom Owen-Hughes, CLS, UoD).
Current Administrative role
- 2nd BDS year lead. (Previously 1st BDS Exam Convenor, & 2nd BDS Exam Convenor.)
- Lead & lecturer for the Microbiology component of CDS Module.
- Responsible for course design, preparation, delivery & monitoring.
- Lead & lecturer for the Microbiology Module, responsible for course design, preparation, & monitoring.
- Lecturer on Endemic Oral Disease, Oral Biology and Caries A&E modules, responsible for design, preparation, delivery & examining.
1st, 2nd, & 3rd BDS
- Cleanliness Champions, Infection control & Decontamination.
- Supervision, mentoring & examination duties.
- Lead & Lecturer on Oral Health Sciences Microbiology module.
- Design, preparation, delivery & examining.
- Lecturer contributing to 1st year Module "Skin".
- Lecture delivery.
- SSC Module organizer (2nd & 3rd year); "Microbial Pathogenesis & Resistance".
- Responsible for course design, delivery, assessment.
- Supervision of Honours Projects for Environmental & Applied Biology Degree Board, Molecular Microbiology Speciality.
- Lecturer on Masters by research in Cancer Biology course.
- Delivery of "Proakaryotes & Cancer" Lecturer & Molecular Biology Practical Class.
- Project supervision of Masters students investigating "Novel antimicrobial restorative materials."
External Examining duties
- Current external examiner for Newcastle University; Molecular Biology MSc.
- Previous PhD examiner for Newcastle University, Sheffield University, University of Sydney, University of Dundee & University of Karachi.
"Molecular and epidemiological analysis of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus otorrhoea: hospital- or community-acquired?" Nassif RG, Soliman R, Edwards DH, Kara N, Hussain SS. J Laryngol Otol. 2010 Jun 18:1-4.
"Distribution of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus spa types isolated from health-care workers and patients in a Scottish university teaching hospital." Soliman, R. S. Phillips, G. Whitty, P. & Edwards, D. H. (2009) J Med Microbiol, 58, 1190-1195.
*"Control of the cell elongation-division cycle by shuttling of PBP1 protein in Bacillus subtilis." Claessen D, Emmins R, Hamoen LW, Daniel RA, Errington J, & Edwards D.H. Molecular Microbiology (2008) 68(4):1029-46. Impact Factor: 5.634 (11/88 Microbiology)
"The isolation, purification and biological activity of a novel antibacterial compound produced by Pseudomonas stutzeri." Uzair, B,. Ahmed N,. Ahmad, Viqar.,Vali, F., & Edwards, D.H. FEMS Microbiology Letters (2008) 279(2):243-250. Impact Factor: 2.068 (51/88 Microbiology)
"Characterization of biopolymer produced by Pseudomonas sp. CMG607w of marine origin." Jamil, N., Ahmed N., & Edwards D.H., J Gen Appl Microbioly (2007).53:105-9. Impact Factor: 0.766 (82/89 Microbiology)
*"The Bacillus subtilis DivIVA protein has a sporulation-specific proximity to Spo0J." Perry, S. E., & Edwards D.H. Journal of Bacteriology (2006) 188:6039-43. Impact Factor: 3.993 (16/88 Microbiology)
*"Identification of a polar targeting determinant for Bacillus subtilis DivIVA." S.E.Perry & Edwards D.H. Molecular Microbiology (2004) 54(5), 1237-1249. Impact Factor: 5.634 (11/88 Microbiology)
*"Promiscuous targeting of B. subtilis cell division protein DivIVA to division sites in E. coli and fission yeast." Edwards D.H., Thomaides H., & Errington J. Embo J, (2000). 19(11): p.2719-27. Impact Factor: 10.086 (16/262 Biochemistry & Molecular Biology)
*"Polar localization of the MinD protein of Bacillus subtilis & its role in selection of the midcell division site." Marston A.L., Thomaides H.; Edwards D.H., Sharp M.E., & Errington J. Genes & Development (1998) 12:3419-3430. Impact Factor: 15.050 (2/34 Developmental Biology)
*"The B. subtilis DivIVA protein targets to the division septum & controls the site specificity of cell division." Edwards D.H., & Errington J. Molecular Microbiology (1997) 24(5), 905-915. Impact Factor: 5.634 (11/88 Microbiology)
"A Murein Hydrolase Is the Specific Target of Bulgecin in Escherichia coli." Templin M.K., Edwards D.H., and Holtje J.V. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. (1992) Vol.267 (No28) pp20039-20043. Impact Factor: 5.808 (39/262 Biochemistry & Molecular Biology)
"The Balance between Different Peptidoglycan Precursors Determines Whether E. coli Cells Will Elongate or Divide." Begg K.J., Takasuga A., Edwards D.H., Dewar S.J., Spratt B.G., Adachi H., Ohta T., Matsuzawa H., and Donachie W.D. Journal of Bacteriology. (1990) Vol 172. pp6697-6703. Impact Factor: 3.993 (16/88 Microbiology)
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Newcastle
- University of Oxford
- University of Edinburgh
- MPI for Developmental Biology (Tuebingen)
- Elected to Group committee Society of General Microbiology
- International Symposium organiser "Prokaryotic Cell Biology" SGM Edinburgh
- Judge for Young Microbiologist of the Year (SGM)