Internationally there are few opportunities for dentists to gain expertise in forensic dentistry at a University with a dental school and an active forensic medicine department.
The University of Dundee offers a one year MSc programme and a two-year MFOdont programme.
Both courses address those aspects of forensic dentistry that are frequently the subject of expert testimony. They are designed to help dentists develop knowledge, experience and intellectual skills in forensic dentistry, forensic medicine, science and research.
Both courses cover:
- Dental Identification and profiling
- Disaster victim identification
- Age estimation from dental sources
- Dental report writing and giving evidence
- Bite mark identification
- Preparation of a research paper suitable for publication
- Practical experience in the mortuary
- History of Forensic Odontology
- Forensic Photography
The two year course additionally provides:
- Bite mark analysis
- A research dissertation
- More practical experience
Further details can be found on the following webpages
One year MSc: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/pg/forensic-dentistry/
Two year MFOdont: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/pg/forensic-odontology/